During an uneventful sunday i just started modelling, wanting to do something with the Glass2 material of Lux that i love.
This resulted in an hour glass made… well of glass.
In this scene, i used a standard studio template for lighting, for the surface i used a cloth material posted by newsarm in the LuxRender forum. I had to play with the scale of it but I essentially didn’t change a thing.
I went one step further, and thought ‘that looks like blood’ (very watery blood i guess, but it could be blood) I was thinking about things at the time and thought maybe i can use it to say a message, life is often too short, and we never know how much time we have left.
So i duplicated the hourglass and changed the colours and the amount of liquid.
The only thing I don’t like about this render is that the liquid should be thicker, and the small ‘child’ hour glass, the liquid is more pink than red.
During this composition I started to appreciate all the work and effort that had gone into the LuxBlend exporter (the tool to take a blender composition and throw it into LuxRender) For 0.7 and the new glass material, they really decided to simplify how glass volumes are defined.
Originally if you have for example, a glass with water in it. Glass has an IOR of about 1.5, and water is about 1.3. So naturally you just select the water body and say its IOR is 1.3. Well wrong! Because Lux is really only interested in the boundaries. At the boundary between the glass and the water, you have an effective IOR which is a ratio of the two numbers… actually 1.5/1.3 = 1.15. Now, this was extremely annoying as it meant you going around and making sure all the IOR where correct, you would have a situation where the surface of the water would have an IOR of 1.3, the glass/water interface, 1.15 and the glass air interfaces, 1.5.
Now the situation is much simpler, you still have each individual object. However you define what the internal and external volume is, along with its base IOR. This also propagates so once you have defined water and glass, it is simply a case of identifying which is the internal and external component of the volume. It produces far less weird errors when rendering!!!!